Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Strategy in Battle..

We all have our demons to fight.  Mine this week:  germs.
Just as I was feeling some success jumping right into a workout routine to start 2012...
I thought the battle to fight was going to be finding the energy to keep the workout momentum going after a holiday filled with indulgence and a restful schedule from school.  I knew that the running and workouts were going to be the most effective fuel to keep up with the teaching schedule (the semester ends this week), and the addition of my daughter's basketball and confirmation class schedule (added onto the already jammed packed family schedule).  Well, the schedule itself did not end up being the obstacle, oh no.  Instead, that "tickle in the throat" feeling ballooned into a swollen, stuffed-up, hoarse throat, mess.  I was ready for the battle (as this was the first germ warfare event of my school year).  I knew it was inevitable.  Eventually, some virus that my husband, 3 kids, or myself brought home was going to try to infest my system.  There is truth to the idea that a regular exercise routine helps strengthen the immune system (I have had less colds the last few years since losing weight and exercising on a regular schedule).  It seems to help me feel better if I get in a good workout when my head/nose is a little stuffy.  So, when the run Thursday didn't help, I brought in some extra ammo:  airborne, cold-eez, green tea, vitamin c, extra sleep, extra fluids.  You name it, and I would try it rather than go into "exam" week feeling like I was run over by a truck.
Friday was going to be a "non-running" day anyway.  So, I chose to get in some strength training with the "Insanity Asylum" core and back workout (couldn't talk myself into kicking up any cardio activity).
I was able to shake some of the slug feeling on Saturday morning when my sister called to do a run with me.  My sister is fighting her own demons, and I am determined to help her in any way that I know how. She had expressed an interest in starting a running routine to join in the Cleveland 1/2 marathon when Chris and I run the full.  I was ecstatic to hear this from her.  She needs a focus like this and so no cold was going to let me miss a run with her to kick-start her own "battle" (besides she hasn't run in a while and I talked myself into thinking that it would be a slow, low mileage event...just enough to help clear my head).
Well, my sister was a no-show.  Its okay though... I know she won't be successful in every step of this battle.  Just as long as she keeps trying, I will be there to help any way that I can!
I chose to use this as my "fuel" to get in a good workout:
Saturday:
4.46 miles
time: 37:40
8:27/mi. pace
472 calories
The germs won over me on Sunday and Monday (very frustrating to say the least).  It was horrible just getting through the work day.  I just wanted to feel good again.  Yesterday, I was lying to myself throughout the day thinking that a run was going to be possible and would make me feel better.  Instead, a cup of hot soothing throat tea and in bed by 9 p.m.
Today is the day.  I felt some glimpses of a clearer head, on and off throughout the day.  I believe that I might just be winning against the germs.
workout:
5.67 miles
 time:  46:39
8:14/mi. pace
604 calories.
I guess tea and early bed might be a good idea more often.   Ready for tomorrow's battles (hopefully they will be easier, or at least ones that I can handle with a clearer head).

No comments:

Post a Comment