Sunday, January 22, 2012

New long run milestone

Okay, so motivation has not been my strength the last couple of weeks.  The plan was to slowly amp up weekly mileage for a targeting the mileage needed to begin the "official" training plan scheduled in February.  No more excuses once the germs were kicked out of my system.  I thought that coming down with a cold had drained my energy (but I never got the energy back).  I could let the January blahs continue to drain all the life out of me, or choose to suck it up and stop the excuses.  So, the last couple weeks I managed to accomplish a couple of indoor track workouts (love escaping the cold temps. without running on a treadmill).  It even felt good to do some "pick up" intervals with some 200 and 400 repeats.  Last Sunday was a 5.5 mile run braving the cold air and was a milestone for the fact that I returned to the river trail after the injury (finally feeling like I can handle some uneven terrain).  I even managed some hill repeats sledding with my kids yesterday.  The real milestone was today:  I reached 8 miles again in the long run.  This was that next step in my own mental confidence needed to handle this upcoming training.  I wasn't totally depleted after the run was over, and felt that I could do more.  No pain!  (other than from the sore muscles from the "insanity asylum" workout yesterday).  I am hoping that this milestone will help motivate that much needed consistency in my running schedule.  I just need to keep telling myself that it is difficult to keep "re-starting".  If I can just keep a schedule it will be easier the next time I need to head out the door (sore muscles, cold weather, tired, or otherwise).  It always feels better to finish the workout!  Even if conditions are less than ideal it is better than not to do it at all!  I just need to keep telling myself this. 
 In fact, my waistline needs to be reminded as well.  It is virtually impossible to eat the way I like and not work on burning those calories.  Typically, I enjoy healthy foods and love the challenge of combining them in new ways.  This love of "food creativity" can be a very sabotaging interest.  I discovered that I am more hungry for "bad" foods on days that I do not workout.  Its really annoying actually.  I work hard one day and eat right for energy to workout at the best of my ability, and it feels great!  If I don't get in a workout, then I end up eating foods that zap energy and leave me feeling sluggish and more hungry.  Bad cycle!
What a great way to break the cycle by ending out the week with a great accomplishment:  a long run and a great day of eating.  We made a baked potato soup (perfect way to warm up after a Jan. outdoor workout).  Potato soup can be heavy.  So, I was excited to try a new recipe using 1/2 cauliflower with the potato and reduced fat cheese and sour cream.  It was pretty good and (most) of the family enjoyed it as well. It is super difficult to please all 3 kids and Chris's and fit into my own standard of tasty...especially keeping it healthy). Recipes that fit this high level of expectation are worthy of repeating.  This is where Pinterest might be helpful (still new to the whole pin board concept and experimenting).  I am attempting to pin some of our favorite family recipe picks on a board:  http://pinterest.com/cflagg.  I would also welcome any other recipe idea that could make our list.
Goal for the week:  run a consistent schedule, repeat that Sunday long run, and eat right in between!
Did I mention that I had a really great ale with the potato soup (that's probably what actually made it taste even better).

No comments:

Post a Comment