Thursday, January 5, 2012

Great News...I can run!

I have been anxiously awaiting today's podiatrist appointment, since the marathon training plan was in hand.  I just needed that verification that the plan would be possible after "the injury".  Anyone that knows me is fully aware of the (in my eyes) tragic event, but if you are not, here it is:  I landed on a butternut during an easy 13 mile training run during my, first attempt, to train for a marathon.  I say an easy run because the weekend before was my first ever 20 mile run. I never thought that this distance was possible, and still don't know how I completed it.  So, theoretically, this weekend workout should have been a breeze.  It only took one split second.  I wasn't looking ahead at the sidewalk and my foot landed, in just the right way, on this evil tree nut!  My determined side told me just to walk a little to see if the ankle pain would subside and I could finish the last 7 miles of the run.  It felt OK, after a few minutes, so I continued on my way and finished the workout.   Long story short:  I had a giant swollen ankle, immediately upon taking off my shoes.  After a fews weeks (not long enough to resume running again) ended up with an ankle sprain and a foot fracture.  This meant no marathon!... and  6 weeks in a walking boot (also occurring during my first week ever of cross country coaching, adding an additional challenge the whole first season).  I believe that all things happen for a reason.  As a result, I was forced to slow down and re-focus my coaching efforts on being more observant and re-thinking strategies in dealing with some first time runners on this Junior High team (impressionable to say the least).  This less physically active approach proved positive for my first attempt at coaching.   Not to mention that my family was not having to endure the stress of my own training too.
Back to today:  It is just over 4 months since the tree nut attack.  The boot has been off, but running was officially forbidden by my (wiser than I knew) podiatrist.  Until today!
I did try (with Dr. approval) to get back to it in time for a turkey trot on Thanksgiving (my favorite event of the year by the way).  There was elliptical training mostly up until the few weeks prior to the 5k.  I ran it (the first time my husband finished before me).  It didn't hurt either (the foot or the husband... I am super proud of him).   So, of course, I ran 6 miles the next day.  I will admit it now.  I did not go back slowly and felt some pain as a result.  Lesson learned.
The wise Dr. Degere advised staying off running through December.  Now I truly understand the effects of training past fitness ability and through injuries.  It is not worth it.  I really had no idea how much time it takes to heal when an injury occurs.  There is also the residual effects to consider (hamstring pull due to muscle weakness and not being able to accomplish tasks that were once easy).  This time I plan to get it right.  Clearly, I could not avoid a butternut if it tried to attack my foot again.  But, I plan to take the doctor's advice (he proved to be right so far).  I will progress in mileage slowly.  I will stop if I feel pain. He understands that desire to push harder, going on further than I should (as he is training for a duathlon this year).  He said just to keep in mind that I can add that mileage the next week, and more the following.  That sounds much better than having to start all over again!  I'm pretty sure this approach will leave me ready for February's workouts.... AND...
I have the approval of the doc to follow the marathon plan.  WOOHOO!
So, what did I do with this information?  Of course I ran out the door on this gorgeous, balmy January day (even though it was already dark outside and 35 degrees isn't really balmy).
 First run this week:
It felt great.  I haven't tried a run since last week.  My sore calves were refreshed.  I couldn't ignore the feeling that I was coming down with a cold today (that swollen feeling in the throat).  It was great taking in the deep breaths of oxygen.  The best I felt all day.
5 miles
42:44 min.
8:33/ mile pace
529 cal.
I have to start somewhere.  This is it.  I won't run tomorrow to see  how it feels and give a recovery day before trying it again (fairly confident since I had run this distance in my workout last week).

2 comments:

  1. Hey mom!I love your blog and its so inspiring! Your confidence, determination, and dedication will help you through the training and I know you will have fun with it! Keep enjoying your running and I will be waiting to read your new and fun adventures out on the roads and trails!!keep up the awesome hardwork! Love ya...maddie<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS! You have to start somewhere... and your somewhere is still way faster than my 5 mile time PR! :)

    ReplyDelete