Sunday, April 22, 2012

Two more long runs to go!!!

 I have just completed the last of two 18 mile runs.  I am feeling accomplished and more nervous than before these higher mileage long runs. This week's schedule had me running more miles mid-week than previous.  I felt super tired keeping up with the schedule but have to admit that up to about the 14 mile mark today felt pretty strong :)  Good news, I suppose...so why am I so nervous?
Well, it is because of what happens at about mile 17-18.  I start to have legs like bricks.  I have tried different socks (huge blisters on Friday too).  So far I am favoring the Injini toe socks with a little mole skin for some added protection.  I have found which shorts and shirts cut down on the chafing (this helps in those last few miles especially on hot days).  I have experimented with different nutrition and hydration too (I feel good going out after a slice of Ezekial sprouted grain bread with peanut butter and banana, and so far hot day long runs have been helped with some s-caps. "Gu" also seems to help give a little extra push at about mile 10-11).
Thank you Fleet Feet (Stacy & Cara) for your advice and all the gear!

 Even after all this experimentation, and working out the details, I still don't know how those last miles are going to be possible.  I thought that the confidence with miles adding so far into training!
Two more long runs to go!!!  Will it help?  Will I be ready?
I know that the training is meant to give some practice in all the scenarios that could occur.  Will there be record breaking high temperatures like during the Boston Marathon?  Will there be high winds like today's Glass City Marathon?   So many variables, so many friends with their own stories and advice to try, and so little time to prepare.
My next step in preparation... coming up with strategies to help calm my nerves with 28 days to go until the Cleveland Marathon!
Friends with any advice are welcomed!
and wondering how my "Everday Athlete" are feeling today.  We are all in this together (you too Chris)!  Easy days, hard days, nerves, sore muscles, stiff legs, chafing and blisters.
 I wanted the challenge, here it is... it will leave us stronger, right?

1 comment:

  1. The training is really meant to give you practice from psyching yourself out. You can physically do it... you just need to make sure your brain is screwed on for it because its really a mind game. BELIEVE ME! YOU CAN DO IT!!! I won't even go into detail about how undertrained and out of shape I was for probably two of my three marathons. You are an amazing runner and will CONQUER!

    ReplyDelete