Tuesday, April 3, 2012

smooth and easy...

The miles seem to be adding up quickly. Each week brings me nervously closer to the anticipated and fast approaching marathon (as I write this there are 46 training days left). We all know how time flies. I'm feeling like the longer runs should seem a little easier as the practice runs become fewer. I've been told that the longer training runs are preparation more for the mental confidence than anything. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of self-doubt in my ability to go further. As I became sore and tired finishing the long run this weekend, I couldn't help but wonder how I was ever going to add ten more miles on (hopefully 46 more training days will get me there).
It has become sort of a ritual for Chris and I to discuss the details of our long run as we wind down our weekend over dinner. We have been working out the details of our experiences to repeat on race day. We have talked pace, clothing, nutrition, hydration, pains, stretching, chafing solutions, shoes, socks and blisters. All with the hope that we get it right and 26.2 will be as smooth and easy as possible.

Speaking of “smooth and easy”...
Just prior to heading out for our 16 mile run this weekend, Chris read of the unfortunate passing of Caballo Blanco. He was a big influence on Chris in the beginning of his running journey and a great motivator by example. So, it was sad news to hear that a seemingly invincible mentor would no longer be able to participate in the events of the running world but should (and will) be remembered in his contributions. Sunday's long run was a somber one as the sad news kept creeping into my two and a half hours of mental solitude. Ultramarathoners amaze me!  So, How does someone like Micah True accomplish such extreme miles so seemingly effortless? Truly inspirational to contemplate the experiences and contributions in his lifetime (cut too short, I might add). We can't forget him in our mental preparation as we plan our race day details, so Chris and I will remember Caballo and his words:
Easy. Light. Smooth. Fast.
Don’t fight the trail. Take what it gives you … Think easy, light, smooth and fast. You start with easy because if that’s all you get, that’s not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don’t give a [poop ;)] how high the hill is or how far you’ve got to go. When you’ve practiced that so long that you forget you’re practicing, you work on making it smooooooth. You won’t have to worry about the last one—you get those three, and you’ll be fast.” -Micah True, El Caballo Blanco

No comments:

Post a Comment