Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The countdown is on...12 days and counting!!!
I would really like to believe that I am not a "type A" personality (it just doesn't fit the art teacher stereotype for heavens sake)... but I can't help but have everything lined up for the best case scenario leading up to race day.
There are some things beyond my control.  I cannot help that I have to face the set-up of our huge annual district art show this Saturday, or that my son's soccer and baseball schedule is just ramping up for the season.  My daughter, Maddie is facing her last practices and district final track meet next week.  With the usual orthodontist appointments, art council meeting, lawn mowing, allergy shots, hair cuts, and of course mother's day.  I still have to fit in some quality workouts to feel "strong" as John Rolf put it.  He initially set up my training plan and I felt it necessary to consult with him on the most effective approach to these last weeks of training.  He reassured me that the "training" is over and it is about feeling mentally strong and physically ready.
I finished the 22 mile training run last week with the notion that "the hard part is over".  But, I have to admit that it is now causing some anxious feelings  and self doubt.  It is hard to accept that the time has run out for "worth it" workouts.  The question remains:  did I do enough?  Am I ready?... accepting that I did not flawlessly stick to the program.  Was it consistent enough to pull through in a strong way? (Admittedly, I had many weeks of only 4 run days, and/or maybe a cross-train day).  The other doubts stem from the ability to "heal" in such a short time (blisters, tight muscles, and general fatigue of the schedule).
So, here is my plan (of course not one of a type A personality):  Today, I went out for 5-6 miles with one minute pick-ups (I did about 10).  The goal:  to feel like I can still recover from the discomfort of pushing my pace and carrying on.
Tomorrow:  off (too much crazy in the schedule... to fit it in would just leave me tired).
Thursday:  a tempo run with some abs/ core work and some super stretching (just to make sure I feel strong and ready).
 Friday or Saturday and easy run
Sunday:  10 miles (just to keep my body on that "long run" schedule).
Next week:  its all about recovery, stretching, easy runs just to keep the muscles moving (no strength training or pace pushing).  Blisters, will hopefully be fully repaired (gotta love nu-skin).
And... the most anticipated event pre-race: MASSAGE!  I went to an amazing massage therapist in Waterville, Tonia Patton, after the 22 mile run.  She literally erased the pain that had been in my butt, hamstrings, etc. (and upper back/neck from holding on to tension).  I have an appointment for her to do that again.   Chris and I will visit her on Wed.  before the marathon (she says she is planning to really stretch the muscles thoroughly).  Hopefully, this "secret weapon" will help me feel refreshed and ready to go!!!
I also have the menu planned out:  plenty of protein and vitamin C the next two weeks.  Balance meals and hydration (got to keep my ice cream habit in check...and cookie cravings, margarita, martini etc).
Last (but not least) plenty of positive thoughts and surrounding myself with positive people (positive energy is contagious).  This is where Chris and I really need to be supportive of each other (Chris, do we have a deal?)  We can do this (no pressure, but this is sort of a metaphor for any challenge we take on in life).  Did I mention how cool it is to marathon train with my loved one (my best friend:)?
Here we go... counting down with the strategy in place.  Bring it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment